Ed's Place (Ambrosia Mentality)

This is an easy place to view and comment on some of my work. All comments are welcome, Please let me know what you think. Intelligence is a must here, if no where else. If you wish to comment, yet do not want the world to see it, you can contact me at: edcat01@juno.com

Name:
Location: Choctaw, Oklahoma, United States

I’m just a very lucky, dirty old man with a wonderful wife. I have opinions on most everything, but will not force them on anyone other than family and friends. They have to suffer with me as no one else.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

An Ad?

This may be an advertisement of a kind, but to me, it is an insight. I recently started up an activity which I had stopped about a year ago. This is not to say I have extra time now, but I enjoy it, much to my dismay.

We, as humans, have an addictive nature. I have found this to be true of everyone, not just a chosen few. If there is someone out there who doesn’t have this streak within them, I’ve never seen nor met them. So before you raise your hand in reply, think about yourself for a moment. Is there a television show which you watch every week without fail and feel a loss when you miss it or it goes off the air? A food or beverage you eat or drink more often than others just because you like it and want it? Any activity you do, not because you have to, but because you want to, over and over again? That is an addiction whether you want to admit it or not.

Some addictions are benign in nature, others are even beneficial. A few are harmful and others even deadly. So why do we have them? Simple; it is in our nature. It is part of what makes us human.

Some people are more prone to their addictiveness than others. If anyone knows why this is, they are keeping it a secret.

Okay, just what is an addiction? Definition: Being abnormally tolerant to and dependent on something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming. In short it is the need or desire for something you may or may not need, but want either consciously or unconsciously. When you think of an addict, alcoholics and drug users come to mind. Compulsions are an addiction of a kind. If you are compelled to do something, you are addicted to it.

If you have ever seen the television show “Monk”, then you see a man who is a very complex person, but filled with addictions/compulsions. We laugh at them and think them funny, but they are very real to some people. They are no less an addiction than booze is to an alcoholic, drugs to a user or chocolate or coffee.

Addictions come in all forms, from foods to activities or inactivity. Some people are addicted to things such as television, books, sports, computers, shopping, collecting, and sleep. Some are even addicted to that dreaded four letter word: WORK, or money.

Once you have determined what your addictions/compulsions are, then you have to decide how or if to control them. This can be one of the hardest tasks ever! Many times we control an addiction with another addiction. This can be good in some ways, or harmful in others, depending on the addiction. It is sort of like moving money from one pocket to another, there is no real change taking place, just misdirection.

Now on to what got me started to begin with. My latest addiction is time consuming, relaxing, yet frustrating at times. It requires eye/hand coordination and helps to develop it more. It has a low cost directly, but can be very costly in the equipment used. It isolates me from my family, but joins me with people I don’t know. I can get better at it, but will never master it and there will always be someone better at it than me. The ‘game’ is played worldwide. The equipment used can be hotly debated by the players. Not only is the game played, but participants talk about almost anything while playing. You really do not need skill to play and most start out knowing relatively little on how to play. Attitude has a great effect on the game play. To some, this game is a waste of time, others feel the exact opposite.

From what I have just described, many may believe they know what it is. As the description stands, there are several games/sports which fall into the category, golf leading the field. For some who know me, this will be a surprise. To others it may seem a logical step with my involvement with computers.

I’m playing an on-line game dealing with World War II, called Aces high. You may have seen it advertised on the History channel or the military channel. It is everything they say it is and more. It can become an addiction.

I plan to deal with my addiction not through abstinence or misdirection but by moderation. I have too many projects going to let one stand in the way of another. So I can only hope for the best in my endeavors and some degree of success.

To know yourself is to know your addictions and compulsions, along with any other shortcomings. Do not hold them hidden, but turn them into strength.

The power in oneself is as vast as the universe. The power of one is the strength of many, unlimited.


Ed Williams
©

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your blog and I figured you'd be interested in advancing your life a bit, call us at 1-206-339-5106. No tests, books or exams, easiest way to get a Bachelors, Masters, MBA, Doctorate or Ph.D in almost any field.

Totally confidential, open 24 hours a day.

Hope to hear from you soon!

12:34 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So THAT'S what you've been up to lately!

3:16 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home