Ed's Place (Ambrosia Mentality)

This is an easy place to view and comment on some of my work. All comments are welcome, Please let me know what you think. Intelligence is a must here, if no where else. If you wish to comment, yet do not want the world to see it, you can contact me at: edcat01@juno.com

Name:
Location: Choctaw, Oklahoma, United States

I’m just a very lucky, dirty old man with a wonderful wife. I have opinions on most everything, but will not force them on anyone other than family and friends. They have to suffer with me as no one else.

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Today in History

I have been told I’m a frustrated teacher at heart. In almost everything I write, I try and impart a bit of knowledge or wisdom. This may well be one of the reasons I’m on a kick to let people know a little something of what has happened in the past. This is not to say I have given up on essays/commentaries pertaining to life in the world today. As history shows us the past, it also shines a light on the world of today.

Where are the births of a few people of note and events to remember: Edgar Allan Poe, 1809. Robert E. Lee, 1807. The two men never met, as far as I know, in fact Poe died in 1849, long before the Civil War. We also have Paul Cézanne, the painter, in 1839 and country western singer/actor Dolly Pardon in 1946. In 1915 the “Neon light” was patented in the United States by a Frenchman, George Claude, and we have never been the same. For old television buffs, in 1953 Lucy Ricardo gave birth to baby Ricky on I Love Lucy. More people tuned in to watch the show than the inauguration of President Eisenhower. For the CNN fans, in 1955 President Eisenhower okayed the first filming of a news conference for television. In 1981 the United States and Iran signed an agreement paving the way for the release of 52 Americans held hostage for more than 14 months. In 1997 Yasser Arafat returned to Hebron for the first time in 30 years, as Israel hands over control of the West Bank city to Palestinians. It still didn’t bring peace.

As this is just a very brief highlight, there are many other births and events to happen today. I just wanted to let you in on a little of the diversity this day has seen. We have entertainment and are still being entertained. We have the birth of a great general and a peace gesture, we still have war. As things change, so they stay the same. Maybe someday a writer or historian can note that today, a great humanitarian was born. Only time will tell, but we can hope.

Ed Williams
©

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home